September. October. The ending of summer and beginning of fall. Apples, crisp leaves, that distinct smell in the air...I love fall! It's hard to believe that September is just a few days away. As I think about moving into the fall, I find myself reflecting on recent Septembers and Octobers. Those two months have been filled with a lot of decision -- and emotion -- over the past several years.
October 2008: We excitedly begin the journey of adding to the Meyers' family! (In true Tonya-style, we had decided a few months prior that October would be the month (post 3-Day walk, work Conference and sister's wedding). So September was filled with nearly as much excitement as we figured it wouldn't be long before before we were a family of 3.)
October 2009: After waiting the requisite year we see a doctor and quickly learn that "Houston, we have a problem." Not the journey we had planned for, but we still have hope. I quickly become an expert on infertility testing and treatments as well as dealing with insurance companies and doctors. Tony and I find ourselves in lots of conversations about our faith, God's plan vs. our plan, and the ethics of using advanced reproductive technology to help us grow our family. Amazingly, our house is filled with laughter and our marriage grows closer than before, even though it's a tough year.
September 2010: We receive the final bit of information that brings about an end to our journey to conceive a child. While fall is my favorite season, September and October 2010 proves to be challenging as I enter what becomes one of the darkest and most difficult periods of my life. Tony's love and support, an amazing counselor appropriately name Joy, and God's healing grace eventually help pull me back into the land of the living.
September 2011: What a difference a year makes! We officially embark on a new journey -- submitting our formal application to adopt (including letters of recommendation, physicals and more paperwork than we've seen since buying our house). I've learned that one of my strengths is completing paperwork...kind of a lame strength unless you're working on all those adoption papers!
September 2012: This fall finds us in limbo...parents in waiting, if you will. Oliver melts our hearts and we are preparing to bring him home, but yet we are still living as a family of 2. However....
September 2013 (projected): We will be a family of 3, experiencing lots of "firsts" as a family! At least, our hope is to have him home by next fall. See, hope has returned!
Tony and I recently celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary. I am one lucky woman! I know a journey such as ours can drive a husband and wife apart, so I feel blessed that we continue to grow closer as the years -- and experiences -- go by. We have also been supported by family and friends (and, when needed, medical and other care providers), all of whom helped us through the challenging times and can now celebrate with us.
I'm looking forward to this fall season, though I'm especially looking forward to taking Oliver apple picking next year!
What a roller coaster! And for me, roller coasters are no fun :( I am hoping that 2013 brings you all that you have been working for in these last few years. I don't believe that things are "meant to be". And I don't believe that "everything happens for a reason". Sometimes life is not fair, and we can't explain why. You are a true example of pushing forward, and when life laid out an unacceptable answer, you found a new one. You are courageous and full of heart!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mary! So true that life isn't always fair. Trying times does make one appreciate the easy/good times though!
ReplyDelete