Monday, July 28, 2014

With Love, From Korea

We have been home with Oliver just over 7 months now. Some families come home with their child and maintain a close relationship with the foster family while other families have no contact after taking custody. I have always desired to keep in touch with Oliver's foster family (they've known him longer than we have, after all), and have offered our personal information in our various communications with them (through the agency as part of our post placement requirements). 

Just over a week ago I received an email that was written in Korean and had Oliver's Korean name in the subject line. I got very excited and immediately used the translating tool to see who it was from. The translating tool did a terrible job, but I could tell it was from someone related to Olivers foster family! Thanks to a Facebook group I am part of, a generous woman had it fully translated before I woke up the next morning. 

The email was sent by a close family friend who calls herself aunt. Apparently in Korean culture is very common for close family friends to be referred to as aunt, uncle or even mom or dad. His foster family is curious about how Oliver is doing and shared with us some of his favorite foods and how he likes to be comforted when sick. The email also asked if we had received a package they sent couple of months ago, but we had not yet received. We were able to track the package down (still at the Korean agency, but someone was flying back to MN and brought it with them) and I picked it up at our local agency on Friday. I am so happy to have heard from them and hope that we are able to keep in touch moving forward. We also feel touched that they put together some items for Oliver and sent them over to us.
Oliver doesn't know what the package is, but he had fun running the errand with me.

We haven't shown the contents to Oliver just yet, as he was in a bit of a mood this weekend and it didn't seem like the best time. But since he isn't regularly on my blog (ha ha ha) I can at least share it with you. The items are definitely Korean and are, let's just say, unique in their style. The shoes are very big and may not fit him for sometime to come, and we will have to try on the pants and shirts. They also sent some (crazy) socks, a touching letter, and some photos. Several of the photos are from our meeting with the Oliver while we were on our first trip to Korea. Another photo is of Oliver with his foster brother, one we already have but are glad to get another copy. 
The bag just before Tony and I opened it.

The picture doesn't show the back pockets of the darker leggings -- and while not really "our" style, I can't resist giving them to Oliver and dressing him in them (if they fit). The woman in the photo is our Korean social worker and the woman who worked with Oliver's Foster Mother.

As soon as we show the items to Oliver I need to draft a reply and get it translated so that we can properly thank them for the gift -- and also let them know how well Oliver is doing. Tony has been working to go through all of our photos and we are saving them on a jump drive to send to the foster family later this year. Perhaps we will be able to think of another small gift or two from Oliver that would be appreciated by them, maybe a drawing or picture. It warms my heart to know how much they still care about him and I only wish that we could communicate in the same language! But still, a true blessing. I am very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment