Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The First Overnight

Last Friday was a big first for our family: Oliver's first sleep over (at Oma and Opa's) and my first full night/next morning "off" since taking custody. 

Once or twice something has come up that made me consider spending the night away from home, and the very thought would send pangs of panic roaring through my body, from head to toe. Even missing bedtime or a morning hug is hard (though admittedly it is sometimes a welcomed break)! But, Oliver's been interested in spending more time with Oma and Opa. And, his attachment to us seems secure (aside from his desire to stay at his grandparent's house so much). So, when Tony's brother invited us on a double date and made a 7:45 (!) reservation, it seemed like the perfect time to give an overnight a try.

Leading up to the overnight, I was mildly worried about how Oliver would handle it....and very worried about how I would! But after a big day (including an hour at the Social Security Card Services Office) and an aggressively playful three year old, saying good night wasn't as hard as I expected. 

And...we ALL did great. Tony and I enjoyed an evening out without having to worry about what time it was or how early we'd be getting up. Oliver enjoyed being spoiled and treated to special time with Oma and Opa. And finally....after 16 months....I had a full night without listening for Oliver, and a morning without responsibility. It was actually pretty darn wonderful.

Thankfully we did receive some updates throughout the night and morning to assure us that Oliver was enjoying himself. Here are a few of my favorites:






We owe a big THANK YOU to Oma and Opa for taking such good care of Oliver and helping him have a blast at his first sleep over. He loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment