Musings of a Breakfast for Dinner Kind of Gal and Her Sauerkraut and Kimchi Loving Guys
Monday, May 11, 2015
Mother’s Day Weekend
For the past several years we have gone out for a Mother’s Day brunch with Tony’s side of the family. Usually the plans are made late in the game, offering us somewhat limited restaurant choices. This year was different. About a month ago Tony mentioned that he had made Mother’s Day brunch reservations for us. A month early! He and his brother picked a place and set the plans. Off to a great start!
Fast forward to this past weekend. On Saturday I had the opportunity to enjoy a special Mother’s Day tea with my “Minnesota Mom” (a.k.a. Barb, my mother-in-law), my brother-in-law’s sweet and lovely girlfriend, and her mother, whom Barb and I were meeting for the first time.
The tea service was fun and the company was enjoyable. I dare say we all had a blast! Here’s a post-tea photo of us:
During the tea, one issue did arise. When I commented to Barb that I was looking forward to trying a new place for Mother’s Day brunch and asked what she thought, she was perplexed and didn’t know what I was talking about. We thought that perhaps Jamie didn’t tell her or told her in passing and she forgot. So….we checked with Jamie. He didn’t know anything about it either. I began to panic, thinking that maybe I misunderstood who what going to be at brunch and our reservation was just for three, and that I’d just put my foot in it by asking my in-laws!
I quick text to Tony asking him to call as soon as he got off the golf course was the best I could do. When he finally called, his response was priceless.
It turns out that the two planning-ahead sons forgot to invite their own mother to her Mother’s Day celebration. FORGOT TO INVITE! Who does that?! Luckily their mother is easy going and quick to forgive (and they didn’t have any other plans for brunch). In the end we had a nice meal together and enjoyed celebrating.
I am blessed to have two terrific mothers in my life, one who has been there since the very beginning, and one that has welcomed me with open arms. They support me, pray for me and encourage me. Guiding me in my own efforts at motherhood. Loving me. Their patience, love, wisdom and faith are inspiring — and I can’t imagine what life would be like without them. Now that I am a mom, I have an even greater appreciation for all that my own mother did to raise me, care for me, love me when I wasn’t all that lovable, and more. And all that Tony’s mom did to raise and care for him. THANK YOU.
On Mother’s Day (and Father’s Day) I am also filled with compassion for those who not able to celebrate in the way that they would like. Perhaps they wish to be parents but are not, they have experienced a loss, they have a strained relationship with their parent or child, or parenthood hasn’t turned out as they had hoped. These celebration days can add an extra layer of pain or struggle, and my heart goes out all who find themselves feeling less than celebratory.
To close out this Mother’s Day post, here is a selfie of Oliver and I having a Mother’s Day Mustache Party Sunday afternoon. He thought it was so fun! Now let’s hope he doesn’t get into my eyeliner when I’m not looking…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment