Monday, March 24, 2014

First Day Back

Today is my first day back at work since December 17th. It's a whole new year, though with the snow falling outside my window it didn't feel like we are already in the spring season. 

The final days of being home with Oliver did not go as planned. He started coughing Wednesday and by 12:30 am Friday morning he had a fever, bad cough and congestion. Since then he's maintained a fever, the cough has continued to be pretty bad and his congestion has not improved. He's not eating much and isn't sleeping well, which means I'm not getting much sleep either. Thanks to the constant coughing in my face (yuck), I'm also under the weather with a pretty bad head cold (luckily no fever). So Day #1 back at the office finds me rather sleep deprived, suffering with a bad head cold, worried about my little guy who is still sick, and trying to figure out how to best get back into things here at the office. 

But...I did it! No calling in sick, only one phone call to Grandma to check on Oliver (though we did text an awful lot), and I actually got a few things done while also trying to get a handle on what's going to be the top priority for the next day or two. I also had adult conversations and time on the computer without little hands "helping"! I am so thankful he is with a relative. 

So, part one of the first day back went okay, all things considered. The second part -- picking up Oliver, getting home and making dinner, cleaning up, bath time, bed time routine...all of the things I'm worried will just be stressful and not enjoyable...also went ok. Oliver was happy to see us, but also seemed happy with Grandma and Grandpa. The getting home part took longer than I had hoped, but dinner was on the table without much fuss (not that Oliver ate much) and we still had some time to hang out. We skipped bath but mostly because he just wasn't feeling great. As of now his fever is down, so hopefully tomorrow will bring a better day for him. 

Here are two cute photos Grandma texted to us today. Man, I miss knowing all that he's doing! The first is him napping just after we left (he did wake up before 5 a.m. today; how I wish I could have joined him!). The second is him goofing around. What a doll!



No comments:

Post a Comment