Sunday, April 13, 2014

New

Lots of new things in the Meyers' household these days!

New Birth Certificate.
Friday's mail brought Oliver's Minnesota Birth Certificate. Yippee! This document confirms his new legal name and our role as his parents in one concise piece of paper. It's nothing fancy, but it's a game-changer. 


After it arrived I called the Social Security office to see if we could possibly get his Social Security Number with the documentation we have on hand. I sat on hold for 39 minutes. Once a representative came on the line I was pleasantly surprised at how nice she was. Unfortunately, her answer wasn't what I had hoped to hear. She said we must have Oliver's amended Certificate of Citizenship in order to prove his status as a U.S. citizen, so we must wait. And wait. The last pieces!

New Experience.
On Saturday Oliver went to the zoo! Grandma and Grandpa have been waiting for years to take their grandchild to the Como Zoo, so Saturday was a big day for the three of them. While the weather was cool and many of the animals were still inside or off display, they had a blast. Here are a few photos of their time at the zoo:


New Haircut (for Oliver).
Well, the haircut itself isn't new. It's the same cut we've been doing since arriving home. However, this haircut differed in two ways: First, Grandma and Grandpa came along to see how he did (and take a boatload of pictures and video) -- and then treated us all to frozen yogurt after. Second, the stylist added a little product to his hair when she finished, making him look much older than two and a half! What a cutie... Not something we plan to do on a daily basis, but a great idea for special occasions. Here are some post-haircut pictures from the frozen yogurt store, courtesy of Grandma's phone.



New Work Schedule; Job.
Beginning this past week, my work schedule moved to four days a week, Monday - Thursday. As I've previously posted, my company is wrapping up its business in the next couple of months. As part of our winding down, a few of the key events we hold throughout the year will be transferring to other related organizations in town. In addition, our big annual fall conference will be managed by a new firm going forward. This past week I accepted an offer to work for that organization, managing the conference and working on other things. The new job will be begin sometime in May, though I'm already working on the conference items. Beginning a job at a new place after 10 years is a bit scary for this "change averse" person, but I'm hoping it will bring interesting opportunities and a nice mix of new people. It's also a blessing to have a job lined up and to have it be a four day a week position. 

New Haircut (for me).
My stylist thought it was time for a change and had a specific style in mind. She tried to explain it to me, but in the end I just had to trust her. I'm glad I did! Here are two shots -- one Tony took on our brunch date Saturday. The other I took myself, so it's not the best but it does the trick.




New Photos.
Grandma has been busy taking photos! Here are a few to end the post.
Enjoying a break with Grandpa
Oliver sharing the jeep, which dates back to Tony and Mike's childhood.

1 comment:

  1. Love the new haircuts, and all the other new stuff going on! Change is hard..but sometimes it can be a good thing! Like they say, progress is impossible without change :)

    ReplyDelete