Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Thankful

Last week we celebrated our first Thanksgiving together. Hooray! To get us into the Thanksgiving spirit, Oliver and I made little turkeys for each of the family members, and on Thanksgiving we each wrote something we are thankful for. Oliver loved making them (and did a really good job putting them together), and our three turkeys now reside near a small Christmas tree in our living room. Thank you, Target, for offering this project to an otherwise uncrafty mom! 

As for many of us, Thanksgiving is very much about the food. While the adults enjoyed a wonderful, traditional meal, Oliver preferred to fill up on the appetizers and dessert -- specifically carrots and dill dip (yeah! he finally ate carrots!), summer sausage and ice cream (he wouldn't touch the jello salad or the pies). Lots of summer sausage! He refused to try nearly all of the meal, but still had a good time. This year we have so much to be thankful for, and I am beyond happy that we got to spend it together. Here are a couple of pictures from Thanksgiving:



Over the weekend three fun things happened that are worth reporting. First, we received a package from Oliver's foster family! They sent Tony and I both lovely scarves. For Oliver, they sent a hanbok, which is a traditional Korean costume worn on formal occasions (for example, the one he is wearing in his first birthday photos; they are often worn on birthdays, the Lunar New Year, etc.). When we brought Oliver home they included his first birthday hanbok, but by then he had long outgrown it. We put it on him and it fits pretty well -- though he didn't want to hold still for a photo!


Second, Oliver and I went on a fun dinner date to Punch Pizza. I think this might have been my first time taking him out at dinner time somewhere so busy. He did a great job waiting in line and then sitting across from me at the table. We had a good time together (even if I didn't get to eat much before he was done and ready to leave) and I am glad it all worked out.

Third, we started to decorate for Christmas! Oliver was so excited about each and every decoration. The amazement as each item came out of the box was heartwarming. The oohing and aching. I loved every moment! He is so excited for Christmas. We bought an Advent Calendar to help him on two fronts. First, to help him know how much time until Christmas (he kept thinking Santa was coming now). Second, to help him keep in mind that Christmas is really about the birth of Jesus (his Advent Calendar is a fabric manger scene with pieces he sticks on each day). It seems to be helping and is a fun thing for him to do each morning. I don't have any pictures of the decorating right now, but we will be doing our Christmas tree this weekend and will be sure to snap some good pictures.

To think that last year at this time we weren't yet a family...and today my heart melts just thinking about him. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment