Friday, October 26, 2012

Challenge #1 and #2

The Korea Program update meeting included a review of the seven main challenges families face when coming home and transitioning into their new life together. Some of the points are pretty obvious while others are perhaps more surprising. The social worker also included a list of suggestions to help overcome and move beyond the challenge. I thought I would share this information as it may help to explain some of the things Tony and I do (or do not do) after bringing Oliver home. As to not bombard you with too much at once, I'll break into a few different blog posts.

Challenge #1: Food

What kids are used to / what adoptive parents are seeing
• Kids are used to eating soft foods
• Some children struggle to chew/swallow
• Some children overeat, or refuse food, as a coping mechanism

Suggestions
• Talk to an adoption competent doctor/pediatrician
• Initially feed children foods they are familiar with if possible
• Slowly incorporate new/solid foods into diet, cut small pieces
• Offer healthy snacks regularly to decrease anxiety
• Keep snacks accessible

Challenge #2: Sleeping

What kids are used to / what adoptive parents are seeing
• Sleeping alone
• Falling asleep on own
• Regular sleeping times
• Falling asleep in a bed/futon
• Sleeping space (bed, crib)

Suggestions
• Co-sleeping (transitioning)
• Floor sleeping
• Taking turns as parents
• Using child room for other purposes
• Do not expect “normal” sleep rules for several months

No comments:

Post a Comment