Friday, January 18, 2013

A 'No Update' Update

Well, I'm officially going bananas as I wait for an update on Oliver. 
- Obsessively checking my email in hopes of one with the update: Check
- Worrying that no update means he is sick or injured...or worse: Check
- Worrying some more that the 'no update' is because something is wrong: Check
- Checking my personal email since beginning to type this post: Check

So...no update to share. Hopefully an update comes along soon. 

In other adoption-related news, you may have seen coverage in your local media about the developments in Russia regarding the shut down of adoption between the U.S. and Russia. First, I am happy to see that the media is covering this issue. Second, I was happy to see that our Senator acted quickly to meet with the families directly impacted and begin working to help move things in a more positive direction from her role as our representative.

My eyes welled with tears as I watched thousands of Russians protest the ban -- in the cold of winter and at the risk of being punished for speaking out. I am hopeful for those families already in process, that they will in fact be allowed to finalize their adoptions (although that is not guaranteed, it is hopeful). I am still incredibly sad for the children in Russia who need loving families, and those families in the U.S. who want to be provide such a home but may not be allowed the opportunity to do so. Nothing seems fully settled yet, but at least there is a glimmer of hope. Sometimes hope can make all the difference.

2 comments:

  1. Ok. Now I'm obsessed too. I keep checking your blog to see if there's news. Hoping you hear something soon and that the news is good. Oh Tonya, I can't immagine how impossibly hard this must be!! Thinking of you and sweet Oliver! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sieglinde! It's still pretty crummy but I'm trying to be slightly less obsessive. :)

    ReplyDelete