I hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year's Eve. It's hard to believe that the new year is upon us already! Tony and I usually spend NYE at home, cooking up something special for dinner and flipping between the various NYE specials on TV. This year we had an opportunity to go out with friends, but after spending much of the day working on our lower level we realized we had more work to do and couldn't make it to dinner on time. Nonetheless, we enjoyed some homemade pasta with Alfredo sauce and sauteed shrimp, a lovely bottle of champagne, and cozy pajamas on a very chilly night. Not a bad way to spend the last few hours of 2012!
The Meyers family rings in a new year with an annual Korean feast -- featuring homemade bulgogi (marinated and broiled beef) and mandu (deep fried Korean egg rolls). This is a tradition that Tony's family started when the boys were small and it's a fun way to keep a bit of the Korean culture alive and well. In addition to the bulgogi and mandu we enjoyed lots of tasty snacks and kimchi (though as I've noted before, I can't stand kimchi and therefore abstained). A little cheesecake topped off our meal, so it is safe to say that we did not kick off the year with a nice healthy meal! Yummy, but not very healthy. I do love family traditions and am happy that this is one that will include Oliver next year.
Tony and I (mostly Tony) have been spending a lot of time considering a pre-Oliver vacation. A sort of babymoon....one where the mother-to-be can still drink and eat whatever she wants! After considering lots of options and trying to find ways to stretch miles and hotel points, we finally booked a wonderful trip. Drumroll please....
We are going to Hawaii!
We will be spending 6 nights on Kauai (2 in Poipu and 4 in Princeville) followed by a night in Honolulu (and hopefully a trip to see Pearl Harbor and maybe Diamond Head). I haven't been back to Kauai since my internship in 2001, so I'm pretty excited to go. It's the rainy and cool season, so I'm just hoping we get a nice dose of sunshine and warmth while we are there.
While we might get a weekend away in before we bring Oliver home, this trip is it, folks! Our next big journey will be the trip that will change everything.
Happy New Year -- wishing you a wonderful 2013!
Yay! Enjoy Hawaii! That's where we did our babymoon, too. Plus it's a good practice run for that LONG flight to Korea.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds amazing! One of the places I hope to visit one day!
ReplyDelete