Friday, August 30, 2013

A Real Update!

Dear Family and Friends (a.k.a. my patient readers),

It is with joy and a renewed sense of hope that I share our latest news: 
[drumroll please...]

Our file has been submitted to the Korean Family Court! 

This is big news! We are officially in the home stretch of what feels like a never-ending process.

Let me back up for a moment. I must confess that I have not been 100% forthcoming with information these past few months. Back in late April Tony and I were told that our file was being prepared for submission to the Ministry of Health and Welfare (the agency that reviews the files and approves the child for emigration out of Korea). Given the lengthy delays and continued uncertainty families were experiencing, Tony and I decided to keep the information to ourselves (and the Grandparents, of course). There were a few hurdles to overcome before our file could be submitted, and my nerves were at an all-time high for the month of May. 

On May 31st our file was officially submitted to the Ministry. Tony and I (and again, the Grandparents) were so excited! What a way to kick off the summer. We were told that we should be approved in no more than eight weeks, so I developed and maintained an unhealthy attachment to my phone and email as I kept thinking "any minute now" for...well...what turned out to be 12 weeks. 

On August 23rd, while we were pulling out of our driveway to head to the State Fair, we received an email notifying us that the Ministry issued our Emigration Permission Approval. Before the Special Adoption Law went into effect last August, this was the call families waited for. Once the EP was issued, families were expected to hop on a plane and pick up their child. Now, it is just one more step forward.

So, what's next? 
Now we wait for the Family Court to review our file. Once they have reviewed our file, we will be assigned our court date. We have no say in when this date falls, but generally families are given 4-6 weeks notice (sometimes more). The court date indicates when will make our first trip to Korea -- and most importantly when we will get to meet Oliver. We will meet him a day or two prior to our court appointment. 

During our court appointment we will be asked questions by the Judge (through a translator) who will have the authority to approve us or deny us. Luckily there haven't been any families denied by the Judge -- at least that we know about.

Once the Judge issues their approval (which will likely day a few days), a 14-day waiting period begins. When the waiting period is over, we get to bring Oliver home. There are a few other smaller steps after the waiting period is over (interview at the Embassy and I'm sure more paperwork), but nothing major. 

Tony and I currently plan to take two trips -- the first for our court appearance, the second after the 14-day wait is over. Once we are home, there will be some post-placement requirements we have to meet. Social worker visits, letters, etc. But we will be a family. The end is in sight.

So, when we will get to travel?
Good question! I'll be sure to let you know when we find out. Until then, we are keeping our expectations in check and just looking for it to happen sometime yet this year.

We appreciate all of the support, love, prayers and encouragement. I can't wait to give you the next update -- our court (and travel) date!

Love,
Tonya

2 comments: