Thursday, May 1, 2014

My Son, Your Son

The "my son, your son" claims/accusations are finally happening!
Tuesday night I sent Tony the following text message:
I just caught your son drinking orange juice straight out of the container. It was nearly empty so it was light, and he undid the lid and starting drinking! Completely a boy move!
Apparently that is the first time I said to Tony "your son." I think he was tickled by it, and he thought it was pretty funny that Oliver dove right into the OJ (and to be fair to Tony, he isn't known for drinking from the OJ or milk containers at our house -- but he's more likely to do it than I!). It was a moment where I turned my back to get his sippy cup, and then found him drinking from the source!

As I reflect, Tony has used that claim before, saying that one of Oliver's traits is just like me. Especially when Oliver does something like line up all his cars or trains (which is does often) or when he panics over messy hands or messy face. So it was pretty funny that about an hour after the OJ carton incident I was in the other room for a couple of minutes and came out to see this:
Something you can't see well in this shot: there were quite a few rocks on the ground with the dirt.


Important things to note:

  1. He IS allowed to play in the gravel and dirt that's in the planter, so long as he keeps it inside the pot. It was one of my "giving" points early on (I think he started playing in it the first night we were home when we weren't supposed to say 'no' unless it was a safety issue).
  2. He's cleaning up the spilled rock and soil using the dish sponge, which means he got the chair to the counter and grabbed the sponge (I was wiping up the counter when I left the room). 
  3. His nails are filthy with mud.
  4. I couldn't have been gone for more than 3 minutes, so this all happened pretty fast -- he wasn't playing in the plant when I left.
  5. He was very proud of the fact that he was "cleaning" and just beamed with self-satifaction.  
Getting into the mess might be more of a Daddy thing, but the cleaning and being proud of cleaning? Pure Mommy.

**love this little guy**

No comments:

Post a Comment