Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Busy Bunch of Days


Since my last post a lot has happened. My job at The Collaborative ended; Oliver and I went to St. Louis for our first visit home; Tony went north for an annual guys' fishing trip; and I started my new job. Given all of that, I hope you can forgive me for not posting about each thing as they happened! It's been a wee bit busy. 

In my last post I wrote about my role with The Collaborative ending, and it is still bittersweet. I pass the office building on my way to the new place and it feels strange to keep going. It has only been three days, so I'm sure that will change in time. My new job is off to a slow start thanks to a few computer issues, but everyone has been welcoming and friendly. The office is small (10 of us total, dropping to 9 soon), but after working in an office of three or four it's a pleasant change. It is clear to a newbie like me that this place has a family feel, just like The Collaborative. For now, I've been working here and there (when I am able to get on the computer), so I look forward to seeing what's to come with this new role. I'll also continue to work with my two coworkers from The Collaborative, so that connection isn't going away, just changing. 

This past weekend Tony had the opportunity to head north to Leech Lake for his annual fishing trip. Tony is the organizer so last week was busy with preparations for his trip. I am sure he'd say it was all worth it, though! From what I can tell it was perhaps their most successful trip yet -- and we have some walleye in the freezer to prove it! While I don't usually post Tony-only pictures, I can't resist sharing this one:

One of Many!
This past weekend also found Oliver and I making an inaugural trip south to visit my family and friends in St. Louis (in February my mom, Dan and Ian came up to visit, so Oliver was excited to see them again). Lots of firsts: first time for Oliver and I to travel alone; first time for Oliver to be away from his new home; first time flying since getting home from Korea; first time meeting most of the people he met in St. Louis; first time for him to be away from Daddy for more than one night. Tony and I were both feeling unsure about how Oliver would react to flying and to traveling without Daddy. Would he think he was going to another new home or new family? Would he understand that the trip was just a visit? Would the whole thing trigger a massive grieving session?

And....he did great. Yeah! 

We flew out late Thursday and returned Sunday evening. I will admit, the journey there was tough (leaving so late in the day did not help). Not nearly as bad as traveling home from Seoul, but challenging nonetheless. Here's a photo I took of us on the plane just before take off:
He was so excited to be on the airplane!
Bumpy travel day aside, our time in St. Louis was terrific. Oliver flourished as he played with his cousins, got to run around in the fenced backyard and was doted on by everyone around him. He met his Great Grams, his cousin Brooke, Aunt Sherry and a whole host of others. His Nana and Pawpaw showered him with love, spoiled him when they could and helped keep an eye on him so I could get a break every now and again too. They also hosted an open house so friends and family could stop by and meet Oliver -- it was nice to see everyone and I'm so glad Oliver took it all in stride. Here are a few photos from our time in St. Louis:



Enjoying a shake at one of Mommy's favorite places: Steak n' Shake
And the brain freeze that follows!
Monkey Joe's Bounce House with Cousin Ian
Playing with Brooke's Princess Wand, Necklaces and Reading Light
Cousins Watching Morning Cartoons
Oliver loves all things police, fire and ambulance -- he wants to play with them, wear them, make the "woooowooo" noises…and as it happened, he got to see them all up close this past weekend. There was an emergency call at a house across the street, so while they were busy working Oliver and I got a chance to look at the firetruck up close. Here's a photo Aunt Sherry took of us:
He's thinking about how cool the firetruck is!
The firefighters were so nice to Oliver. They had little plastic hats that they gave to Oliver and Ian! Had it not been an actual emergency I would have asked for a picture with them, or to see if Oliver could peak inside the truck, but perhaps there will be another opportunity to do that down the line. 

 I was nervous about how the trip would go, especially just Oliver and I, but it really couldn't have gone much better. I miss my family so much and I can't wait to see them all again! 

In other news, Oliver's language is really taking off! Lots of two and three word phrases, new words every day, and a better comprehension of using yes and no. Plus, he's just so darn cute that I just want to stare at him and cuddle him all of the time. I hope that feeling never goes away. It makes the hard moments bearable and the good moments all the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment