A lot has happened over the course of the past week, much of it sparking a rather challenging internal debate. It all began last week, early Tuesday morning. I received an email from someone I had recently been in touch with, someone I knew from working at The Collaborative. He wanted to set up a call for later in the morning to discuss a possible job opportunity, so before lunchtime my world was tipped on it's axis.
That conversation sparked such a mix of emotions I ended up with my first migraine in over 6 weeks! Should I return to work? What about how wonderful staying home with Oliver has been? Is it better to use my talents in the workplace or focus them at home? What might happen to the work Oliver and I have been doing if I go back to working outside the home? Who is going to clean the house, run the errands, cook the meals, etc.? WHAT IF I CAN'T DO WHAT IS ASKED OF ME?
Turmoil. Turmoil that millions of mothers have faced, often with no "right" or "wrong" answer. At the same time, how wonderful it felt to be pursued! To have an experienced and successful businessman believe I am the right person to step in at the ground level of a start up and help it grow. After 5 months of working for a 3 then 4 year old, often being under appreciated for my efforts, to have this kind of professional attention is flattering, to say the least.
On Friday we had a second call, then set up a meeting with the two individuals currently working full time for the company. Significant prayers were sent up for God's direction, His peace or His closing the door on this opportunity. The internal turmoil continued, and when I headed off for the Tuesday morning meeting I was just desperately clinging to the hope that God would show the way.
Lo and behold, the meeting was comfortable, even fun. I left there at 11:30 and received an offer of employment at 12:30.
I accepted and begin Monday!
I begin as a contractor for about 20ish hours a week -- two days in the office and some working from home. A nice way to transition myself and the family into my return to work. The ultimate goal is to be a full time employee and to grow my role as the company grows. I've worked for small companies for a long time, but this will be my first adventure in the purely start up world.
Oliver burst into tears when I shared the news with him, but he did celebrate with me and enjoyed a little frozen yogurt. So, here's to changes and how life can unexpectedly go in unimaginable directions! Praise God for opening doors, and sending continued prayers for His help during this time of transition. I have a feeling it will be much more challenging for me than when I returned to work right after Oliver came home.

No comments:
Post a Comment