Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The First Meeting: Two Years Ago

Two years. Nearly how long we waited to bring Oliver home! Today marks two years since Tony and I met Oliver.

November 22, 2013 at 10:30 am (Korea time): Tony and I were scheduled to be in Family Court in Seoul. In preparation for this court appearance we (FINALLY!) were set to meet Oliver for the very first time.


November 18, 2013. We had met with our Korean social worker to go over some paperwork and then she led us to an elevator. When the doors opened and we stepped out, there was Oliver! Two years ago today we finally got to see and touch the little one we had been watching grow up via photos over a 22 month span. Our world changed completely that day. We left our first meeting overwhelmed -- with joy (he's real! We just met him!), with fear (he's got way too much energy, how are we going to do this? This is very.very.real!) -- and excited. 


As I recall that day, those first moments, tears fill my eyes. I remember the big smile he flashed us when he first saw us, the trepidation he showed as we tried to play with him, how easily he could use our phones, how the bubbles helped us break the ice. Here is one of my favorite photos from that first meeting:


And here he is today. He has changed so much over the past two years; overcome so much. And is so loved. 


Posing in the hall -- he chose the pictures to add here
Silly guy!

Tony and I are so blessed to be parents to this wonderfully energetic, funny, smart little guy.


Happy first meeting day, Oliver!

No comments:

Post a Comment