Monday, June 25, 2012

I'm Thinking About Cheating

On the birthday cake, that is! 
Our little guy's first birthday is just around the corner -- July 7th. It breaks my heart to miss the big day in person, so Tony and I plan to have a very small celebration. We will head on over to a local Korean restaurant (King's) and then come back to our place for birthday cake. What I really want is a picture of Tony and I with a "Happy 1st Birthday" cake so we can keep it in his photo album for him to see when he gets older. I want him to know that even from afar we were loving him and thinking about him as he turned one.


Back to the cake. There are 3 problems:

  1. There won't be many of us eating this cake, so I don't want something too big and expensive. We aren't hosting a big party, it will just be Tony and I and possibly the in-laws, if they're around (it's a holiday weekend after all). Most bakery cakes are not only expensive but sized for a larger group, which is a waste.
  2. I have never actually decorated or written on a cake. I can barely ice a cake without having half of it wind up crumbly (one time I had to bring a "rustic" cake to book club because the frosting and the cake were at war with one another!).  Which means the bakery cake might not be such a bad idea. As much as I wouldn't mind learning how to decorate, this might not be the best time (see #3).
  3. We are thinking of going camping for a few days leading up to the celebration (over the 4th), returning late in the afternoon on the day of the celebration. That means I'd only have a couple of hours to unpack/unload, get myself and the house cleaned AND make a cake from scratch.
My cheating options include Mr. Duncan Hines (and maybe some home made frosting and attempt at writing on the cake) or a trip to the local bakery. Either way, I always imagined myself baking birthday cakes from scratch and it is doubtful that will happen this time around. Sadly, I can't blame it on the fact that our lives are so busy with a nearly one-year-old, nor can I say it's because he asked for something specific. Oh well, I suppose lowering my own bar isn't the worst thing in the world. And, at the end of the day, there will be cake! And a one year old!

1 comment:

  1. You could go to Target or Cub and pick up a small birthday cake. They will even write "happy birthday" or whatever you want on it for you right at the bakery counter. My recommendation would be Byerlys because they have fabulous cake, and they have some small round ones (like 8-10") and they will do the same thing for you.

    P.S. - I can help you with the "crumb" issue! Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete