Monday, May 13, 2013

Adoption Shower

Over a year ago, when Tony and I shared our news with his family, one of the first things they said was that they would like to throw us a shower to celebrate our new little one. I was so touched that they wanted to do this! Throughout our journey to parenthood there have been a number of things I've mourned. One of them was the opportunity to share in the various aspects of having a baby that most of my women friends have gotten to experience (and talk about with other moms). While there's little I can do to experience pregnancy or to have my own "birth story," celebrating with an adoption shower was just what I needed (and wanted)! Plus, let's be honest. A shower is far easier than growing and delivering a child! 

Fast forward to Sunday, May 5th. Adoption shower day! Hosted by four fabulous women: Kris (Tony's Aunt), Sarah (Kris' daughter-in-law and the one who bravely offered her home as the location), Britta (Tony's cousin/Kris' daughter), and Kristina (Kris' other daughter-in-law). Here's a photo of the lovely hostesses:
Left to Right: Kris, Sarah, Tonya, Britta, Kristina

Joining in the Minnesota celebration was a lone Missouri representative...my Mom (a.k.a. Oliver's Nana). I was so excited to have her visit, and so glad she could be part of the shower. Here's a photo of the "Moms": Barb (a.k.a. Oliver's Oma; Tony's Mom), the mom-to-be, and Debbie (my mom!):
Left to Right: Barb, Tonya, Debbie

There were quite a number of people at the shower and Sarah was an unflappable hostess! The food was plentiful, the decorations personal and adorable, and everyone was having a great time. As I've posted a few times recently, Tony and I have been on a roller coaster lately and it's been difficult to keep things moving, putting one foot in front of the other. This shower, and the chance to celebrate with and be encouraged by a mass of people who love our family, means more to me than words can express. Tony and I are truly blessed.

And Oliver...he's truly spoiled! Here are just a few photos of what our family and friend's generosity looks like:
Duplos!
Bath toys (we got a lot of those!)
His first fishing rod











We're going to start him early...
Now he can look like dad with his own flannel shirt
Hand knit socks, made by a friend. Very special!
He now has at least 6 different hats!
Outdoor fun!
Last but not least, flannel pants so he can lounge with us in style

Not only did we get a chance to celebrate Oliver's (eventual) arrival, but we had an opportunity receive so many blessings from so many people. Amazing. Thank you to all who were able to join in the festivities! I know that most of my family and some of my friends live too far away to make the trek north, but we're also appreciating all of your support and encouragement during this roller coaster ride, too. 

Oliver is certainly loved!

**Note: there are photos with actual attendees featured (not just me and gifts!), but not everyone likes to have their photo up online (sorry, Becca...I didn't ask you first! You're such a good friend, I figure I can buy you a drink next time we go out!). 

2 comments:

  1. Tonya, you're absolutely glowing in these pictures! Motherhood becomes you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing all the pictures from your shower!! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete