I am beginning to think that it is my moral duty to plant a few trees this spring in order to make up for all of the paper Tony and I have used thus far in the adoption process. After several months of intense paperwork, essays, meetings and more paperwork, the past month has been, blissfully, paperwork free.
Yesterday we were informed that the time has come to become better acquainted with the USCIS and work on our next form, the I-600A. Now to be clear, we both thought that we had completed the I-600A in February with our acceptance paperwork, but alas, it was the I-600.
Let's be sure we don't get them confused! According to the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services):
I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative
Purpose of Form: To classify an alien orphan who either is, or will be, adopted by a U.S. citizen as an immediate relative of the U.S. citizen to allow the child to enter the United States. The petition is filed by the U.S. citizen who is adopting the child.
I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition
Purpose of Form: For adjudicating the qualifications of the applicant(s) as prospective adoptive parents. Filing this form will generally speed up the part of the processing relating to the qualifications of the prospective adoptive parent petitioner(s).
For one letter difference in the form's code, the meaning of the two forms is certainly different! What amazes me is this. I am a college educated, professional woman who has navigated the ins-and-outs of health insurance forms/requests/legalese; filled out college and job applications; purchased a home; opened an IRA. Yet rarely an adoption-related form goes by that doesn't elicit the "What exactly does this mean" question.
So, that's where Tony and I are in the adoption process at this particular moment. We are working to complete a 3 page form that has 8 pages of unhelpful instructions along with a 1 page instruction sheet from our agency. We are compiling more birth certificates/marriage certificates/naturalization papers to include in the packet. Once it is all submitted, we will receive our I-171H authorizing us to get federally fingerprinted in St. Paul.
Let the good times roll!
Makes my head spin - yikes!
ReplyDeleteHoly Cow! Is this just another hoop to jump through that will "weed out" those who are not wholeheartedly invested? Process of elimination by confusion???? Good vibes coming your way! :)
ReplyDelete