NOTICE OF FAVORABLE DETERMINATION CONCERNING
APPLICATION FOR ADVANCE PROCESSING OF ORPHAN PETITION
It has been determined that you are able to furnish proper care to an orphan(s) as defined in Section 1010(B)(1)(F) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.Our I-600A application and fingerprints are approved! That means we are all set to bring the little guy home (legally). While we were not worried about gaining approval, this is the final "big" paperwork step in getting things set up for the adoption. Some families run into issues when applying for approval (past criminal history, including a DWI; discrepancies in your paperwork or with your birth/marriage certificates; or other unexpected items can cause delays in the processing of the application).
We have now received approval to become parents from a variety of people and places: our families (as they've been endlessly supportive); our primary care doctors; the State of Minnesota; our agency, Children's Home Society, and our social worker, Laura; the Korean agency Eastern Social Welfare Society; and now the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Here is the official certificate of approval:
![]() |
| (Name blurred to protect our little guy's identity) |
So, we are now nearly done with the hoop jumping -- one more full day course is required. We will take that in July and, at that time, will finally have met all of the requirements to adopt. Whew. At this point it is hard to imagine becoming a mom without having to prove myself worthy over and over again. I can't say I feel much more prepared than I did when we were trying the old fashioned way, but it's kind of cool to have the U.S. and Korean governments backing us up! :)

Yay! I wish you didn't have to go through so much rigmarole to get your little guy but glad you're almost through the major stuff! You're all official now!
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, in some cases, some people who become parents the "old fashioned way" could probably have benefited from a little more rigmarole, imho. :)
Also...fingerprints have an expiration date?
I think it's odd to say that fingerprints expire, but I think they expire for two reasons. First, so they can charge us again :) Second, because I do believe they run the fingerprints through the system to double check that we are still on the up-and-up, legally speaking.
DeleteOh well, at least we passed!