Friday, December 21, 2012

Webinar Recap

Children's Home Society held a webinar last night to provide families in the Korea program with an update on the current status of international adoptions in Korea. For the past week I have been wracked with worry that the Korean government was considering closing international adoptions (rumors abound that Korea wants to close to international adoption and that they have been trying to do so for the past several years). At 6:00pm I nervously logged on to the webinar. With great relief, about 3 minutes into the 90 minute session, they reassured us that Korea is not looking to close international adoptions and that we do not need to be worried about a disruption in the adoption for those of us who are already matched.

Whew!

Talk about a big relief! I doubt that is the last time I will loose sleep over little Oliver, though! 

The rest of the update was mostly what we've already heard -- the processing of international adoptions is at a standstill while the family court system and Ministry of Health and Welfare try to figure out how to implement the new law. U.S. and Korean agencies are working to supply examples of how other countries have successfully done this, and they are also making recommendations of how they could keep families moving through the system while they work out the details. Basically it's a case of Red Tape. We are caught in the middle! So, more waiting for everyone, but less worrying about the possibility of loosing Oliver.

In other news -- Oliver officially has more under the tree than anyone else, and Santa hasn't even come yet! I can only imagine what 2013 will bring!


No comments:

Post a Comment