Monday morning, October 28th. I'm sitting at my desk, anxiety levels already rising as I wait and hope for news. Obsessively checking my personal email. Making sure I didn't miss a phone call. And then I see it. The subject says it all: Court Date Assigned!
Praise God!
It's official. Tony and I have been issued our appointment for the Korean Family Court. We will stand before the Judge and answer questions (via a translator) on Friday, November 22nd at 10:30 a.m.
What does this mean?
It means we leave for Korea on Friday, November 15th. As in 2.5 weeks from now! It also means that we will get to meet Oliver soon -- likely November 18th or 19th. Amazing.
As some of you know, Tony has become quite the expert at collecting credit card points and airline miles. We have benefited from this on a number of occasions, and will be cashing in all (or nearly all) of them for this first trip to Korea. Flying via miles means we have a bit of a journey ahead of us -- including an overnight in LA on the way there (we might get to see my brother, which would be terrific) and an overnight in Narita, Japan on the way home. And given the time and day difference, our final leg of the return flight departs Japan at 3:30 Sunday afternoon, landing in Minneapolis at 11:30 Sunday morning...all November 24th!
Work on Monday, November 25 might be tough.
When will we get to bring Oliver home?
We don't know when we will be making the second trip, and we won't know until after we return from the first trip. There are a few final steps that must take place in Korea before we are granted final approval. Once we receive final approval, we will book our second trip. We may end up celebrating Christmas in Seoul this year -- or New Year's Eve. But no matter what it means Oliver will be coming home soon.
An important note: until we receive the final approval, we are not allowed to share photos and details in public settings (i.e., Face.book). Legally he is not our child and we are being careful to respect the agencies' wishes (a.k.a. demands). Therefore please continue to keep comments and questions off of any social media sites until Tony and I make the big announcement. Thank you!
In Other News
Our house is full of new carpet! The lower level has been fully carpeted; the upper level has had the old carpet replaced with new. That means we have begun setting up Oliver's room...and just in time!
We were blessed by a number of friends -- and terrific and tireless In-Laws -- giving of their time and energy to help us with all of the moving of furniture, removing of carpet, pulling of staples, etc. Tony and I alone couldn't have managed the job and we are grateful for everyone's help and support.
Now, it's back to the grindstone. We have a lot to prepare for in such a short time. It still doesn't feel real!
Yes! So excited for all of you!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
ReplyDeleteI just saw your (vague) Facebook post and ran right over here because I knew just what that meant! Wooohoooo!!!! I also might need to actually have "bfd" tonight in celebration :)
ReplyDelete:) Well, I am actually having breakfast for dinner tonight (Tony won't be home, and BFD is my go-to meal without Tony)! But it was also a way to hint to those in-the-know that they might want to check the blog. Since we are still keeping it off FB and all!
DeleteWe are so excited!
YAY! YAY! YAY! I am soooooo happy to hear this news!!!!
ReplyDelete